As I was going through my stash of supplies, a theme started to emerge: Wizard of Oz. It was like it came together all on its own. True to my original intention, almost all of my supplies are repurposed, too! Here's what I used:
- linen (right panel), from the same curtains used in my last project
- rainbow elastic (middle), from the antique store (symbolizing over the rainbow, of course)
- words from the "wizard," which I had printed out on fabric about 4 years ago with the intention of making a skirt for my daughter. The skirt never materialized, but I kept the phrase and found it in my box of embellishments
- covered button, from a long-outgrown chenille Baby Lulu overall set. It symbolizes the poppies that put Dorothy and her friends into that nap in the field, right before they get to Oz
- yellow linen and Oz fabric - not repurposed, but from long-ago fabric store purchases
- heart button on back - symbolizes the Tinman's heart, natch
I stuffed it with crushed walnut shells, so it's hefty and nice. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, since my quilt guild just had a pincushion swap and I was the recipient of an awesome one from a fellow member. I don't need another for myself. Maybe this will be the first item in the hope chest I've always been meaning to put together for Kate.